Re: Preremove section in http://cygwin.com/setup.html

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 01:05, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Replies inline.
>
> On 10 Jul 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Well, we haven't set a policy on the number of postinstall scripts.
> > I'd really prefer one package == one script. It feels cleaner to me that
> > way.
>
> It's a general rule of thumb, but it's just a policy, not an
> implementation limitation.  It might be cleaner sometimes to create
> multiple postinstall scripts to clearly separate the functionality -- see
> "base-files", for example.

I suspect I forgot to reply.. so here goes.

It may be cleaner - and if so, those other scripts can live elsewhere -
i.e. /usr/libexec/base-files/helper-scipts/...

It's certainly not cleaner for setup. SO, edict time: setup may not in
the future support multiple scripts per package, and our documentation
therefore /must not/ assume that that is ok.

> > Pre remove scripts are limited to -one- per package. Either .sh or .bat.
> > If setup supports both at once, it's an accident and is not guaranteed
> > to remain.  Again, for consistency, all scripts should be one per
> > package.
>
> Pre-remove scripts are invoked using try_run_script(), which will execute
> *both* .sh and .bat if present.

Again, it does != it's intended and supported behaviour.

> > Other than those issues, it looks good to me.
> > Rob
>
> Ok, I'm attaching another iteration.  Incidentally, what's the official
> spelling of "postinstall" and "preremove"?  Is it with a hyphen, with a
> space, or as one word?

Uhm, dunno. one word sounds ok to me.

Rob

--