Re: new package proposal : CLISP

Sam Steingold wrote:

Now, cygwin maintainers (like RedHat maintaners, Debian maintaners &c
&c) want all packages to look the same _to them_.  This is quite
reasonable, but it puts a certain strain on me: I have to learn all sort
of new stuff (setup.hint format, CYGWIN-PATCHES, *.spec, debian &c &c).

This is why I want someone who already maintains a cygwin package and
who is comfortable with all these requirements to maintain the CLISP
cygwin package.

I am lucky that CLISP already has a debian maintainer.
Now I want a cygwin maintainer too.

If your *only* concern is in learning how to mantain a cygwin package (as simple as it seems to be to me now, it seemed not at the beginning) I guess I can propose myself to "proxy-package" it.
But as I had not time enough yet to deep-test rsync package (which has months-long cygwin-specific hang issues) I would never have time to correct cygwin-specific problems in CLISP myself, I'm not even an assiduous LISP user. (though it's in my "to-do" list, to learn it properly, that list is very long...)

So, if you're happy enough with someone that just need to package that for you, I guess I can help, but...

But it would seems like "cheating" to me: the "burden" of a cygwin-specific package is having a cygwin-specific README installed in the correct directory (/usr/share/doc/Cygwin) and having the binaries installed in the correct directory (/usr/bin).
setup.hint is a "fake" problem, as once created, is almost never changed.

So, once someone (me, you, whoever) creates the cygwin-specific README (basically including only a short description, a "it compiles out of the box" notice, and the list of requierd packages and installed files) and the setup.hint and your own install tool of choice is configured to support cygwin's directory tree (i.e. using /usr/bin insteadof /usr/local/bin, which many package use by default) creating a new version of the package would be as easy as running a script.

The *big* part of being a mantainer is, IMHO, trying to solve cygwin-specific problems... and if you want to do that anyway then mantaining the package really comes almost free. Anyway if this seems unnatural to you and you really like someone else to mantain your package, with the things I said above, I can do that...

I would really like to have maxima on Cygwin 0=)

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)