RE: Pending Packages List, 2003-11-07

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 12:48:59PM -0000, Morrison, John wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> The other problem is that files with leading dot are not visible
>>> with `ls' by default.  Giving it a name in the default dir, which
>>> makes it visible, isn't a bad idea, IMHO.
>>  ^^^ invisible?
>
> No.  Is not a bad idea == is a good idea. ;-)

Gah!  No wonder my work here's terrible ;)

>>> I just don't think /etc/defaults/etc is the right place for the
>>> file. Better choices are
>>>
>>>   /etc/defaults/sgreprc
>>>   /usr/share/doc/sgrep/sample.sgreprc
>>
>> Sorry, but the way I worked /etc/defaults is that, the prefix of
>> /etc/defaults is removed and the resulting filename is the
>> destination. So, /etc/defaults/sgreprc would result in copying the
>> file to /sgreprc
>
> Wait, I thought we're talking about a system-wide sgreprc file which
> is expected in /usr/share.  Did I get that wrong?

AFAICR, the postinstall for sgrep copies the sample from the docs
to /etc

Somebody recommended (which I don't disagree with ;) that they
should use the /etc/defaults/... mechanism.

I could be wrong though... ;D

J.

to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to
create any legally binding contract or other binding commitment through
the use of this electronic communication unless it is issued in accordance
with the Experian Limited standard terms and conditions of purchase or
other express written agreement between Experian Limited and the recipient
Experian Limited (registration number 653331)
Registered office: Talbot House, Talbot Street, Nottingham NG80 1TH