Re: Please update links, mod_php4, mod_ssl, wget (was: [mark@openssl.org:[OpenSSL Advisory] Denial of Service in ASN.1 parsing])

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:47:35PM -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > So, links is up for grabs now since Sami didn't bother to
> > > reply at all. If nobody takes over maintainership, the
> > > package will be removed in two weeks from now.
> >
> > Still no takers for Links ? How sad. Only 4 days left.
> >
> > What about also asking for a maintainer in the cygwin
> > mailing-list ?
>
> If it's sad for you, what about volunteering?

Not for me, as I'm more used to Lynx, but from my logs (and I
don't have so many hits) I could notice some people using the
0.96 binary.

I'd volunteer if I were a programmer, which is a prerequisite
since maintainers are expected to fix any Cygwin problems. The
Links authors don't seem to care - see UNSUPPORTED in
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/download/binaries/win32/
.

The good thing is that recent Links and Links 2 build OOTB on
Cygwin with 2 minimal changes, and don't appear to have any
problems.

Anyway, I'm still unsure what'd be better to replace it, if
Links 2 2.1pre14 or ELinks 0.4.2. ELinks has many advantages
(and many more in 0.5pre) but lacks the minimal JavaScript
support and graphical frontend - see
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-11/msg00035.html
. The problem with Links 2 running with the graphical frontend
is that accentuation doesn't work (at least for me), only on
Linux with the frame buffer. So, while it's great to have
images and such, something is wrong, and for now I'm going to
investigate it.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html