Re: New package: tzcode-2003d-1

dr.volker.zell@oracle.com wrote:

The package 'tzcode' is now available with the Cygwin distribution.

o http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm (Homepage)
o ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ (Download location)

I know the train has already left the station, but I do have a few nitpicks about the package (other then my earlier ones).

Aren't zoneinfo data alternatives supposed to go in /usr/share/zoneinfo/<alternative name>? Having three zoneinfo dirs in Top-Level /usr/share doesn't seem right and is definitely not FHS compliant.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I also noticed that glibc has no "leaps" dir but it does have a "right" dir. Is this going to be a problem?

I would like to resolve this so that I can submit a patch for zoneinfo.cc and tzfile.h so that they correctly locate the zoneinfo tree and various other files (currently they look in /usr/local/etc/zoneinfo by default). While I'm at it, I also plan to update the code to the latest source provided by this package (since it appears DJ just copied the source from there in the first place). This way, it will save you the trouble of maintaining an additional, unneeded static lib. Plus, it will cut down on the size of the binaries since that static lib contains duplicate code already contained in the dll.

Cheers,
Nicholas