Re: ITP emacro 2.8.5

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

Bruce,

Please keep replies on the mailing list.

Oops. I've been spoiled by lists that automatically set the _reply-to:_ header.

EMacro is a .emacs system that makes Emacs (and XEmacs) easy.
http://emacro.sourceforge.net/cygwin/

Since emacro is, if I understand correctly, a configuration system for {,x}emacs, maybe a solution would be to install the /etc/skel files directly, so that they are automatically removed

Correct. I really did not understand the purpose of /etc/defaults.
What happens, when I install to /etc/skel, but files of the same name exist there?
Are they silently overwritten?

I originally wanted to copy files to /etc/defaults, then rename the .emacs of the installing user, then copy EMacro from /etc/defaults to $HOME.
In this case, I could have preremove remove EMacro, from $HOME, but not try to be clever with the backup .emacsen there.
Note that a different user might uninstall, so $HOME could be different.

If you are a vim user, you might wish to check out http://cream.sourceforge.net/ which would have the same issues. Cream is likewise a ~/.vimrc system.