This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
- From: fedora at studio dot imagemagick dot org
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:22:26 -0800
- Subject: ImageMagick/Graphicsmagick
As the lead developer of ImageMagick I would like to clear up a few
misconceptions being stated on this list.
1. Harold L Hunt II says: This package [GraphicsMagick] will replace
ImageMagick for various reasons. One of those reasons is that the
GM folks are committed to provide ABI stability and proper version
numbers, whereas IM is not making such a commitment and has already
made various arbitrary changes to ABI version numbers.
This is something Bob Friensenhahn is trying to convince people of
but it is simply not true. http://studio.imagemagick.org/ states
our project goal of: ImageMagick's focus is on performance,
minimizing bugs, and providing stable APIs and ABIs. Bob Friensenhahn
does not speak for ImageMagick. He tends to diminish ImageMagick in
various mailing lists I assume in order to promote his ImageMagick
clone project, GraphicsMagick.
2. Daniel Reed says: GaphicsMagick is a feature-for-feature
replacement of ImageMagick. This is simply not true. GraphicsMagick
is missing many features that ImageMagick has and if you run
a program or script against the two you will in many cases get
3. Daniel Reed says: I considered ImageMagick's to be votes for
GraphicsMagick. Why vote at all if you are going to usurp the votes?
A vote for ImageMagick should remain with ImageMagick. If you want
votes for GraphicsMagick have a separate vote.
If you choose to support GraphicsMagick instead of ImageMagick, fine. However,
base your decision on facts, not misconceptions.