This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [tony.arnold: ImageMagick packaging problem]
- From: Harold L Hunt II <huntharo at msu dot edu>
- To: cygapps <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: cygx <cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com>, tony dot arnold at man dot ac dot uk
- Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:52:15 -0500
- Subject: Re: [tony.arnold: ImageMagick packaging problem]
- References: <20031226165608.GB13619@redhat.com>
[Moving discussion to cygwin-apps]
Christopher Faylor wrote:
A head's up for Harold.
Btw, since this package relies on XFree86, shouldn't it live in the
Err... well, it depends on X mostly like the emacs X package does... it
links against it and one or two of the command-line apps uses it (mostly
to display images), but the majority of the command-line apps don't
actually display anything in X at all. So yes, it does rely on it, but
it doesn't need a working X Server to be useful. I think its really a
judgement call with this package as to where to put it; I put it where I
did... if anyone feels strongly about changing that, feel free to do so,
it will not upset me.
----- Forwarded message from Tony Arnold <tony.arnold> -----
From: Tony Arnold
Subject: ImageMagick packaging problem
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:29:10 +0000
I just downloaded and installed teh ImageMagick package. It installed
fine, but when I tried to rung one of the command line tools such as
identify or convert, it complained it could not find the configuration
files in /usr/lib/ImageMagick.5.5.7 and on checking this directory does
not exist. The readme for this package indicates this directiry tree
should be included included in this package.
I eventually discovered the libMagick-devel package which does include
the above directory path.
It seems to me that the pathe for the config files should either be
included in the main package or the devel package should be a dependency
of the main packge.
Yes, it had been mentioned before that these were configuration files
that were needed at run-time by the libraries and that their location
had been changed. However, we never fully answered our own questions
about what to do here, so the result was that they were never moved. We
then started looking at using the GraphicsMagick package as a
replacement for ImageMagick, which diverted attention from this.
I have moved the files to the libMagick6 package from the
libMagick-devel package. This solves the problem in the short term; the
long term problem of how to handle the fact that this is a versioned
directory remains open.
I will post a new version of the ImageMagick packages shortly.