[Review - Not Yet Good to Go] sgml-base 1.1-1: A FHS-compliant foundation for SGML packages

Binary package looks lovely, and you actually remembered to gzip the man page!
More people should do that :)

The ITP thread: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-01/msg00000.html
seems to have started a discussion. I take it this package isn't a very high
priority, but more as a first step towards getting docbook on Cygwin (which
would, of course, be incredibly cool!)

* There was something about using xmlcatalog instead of update-sgml-catalog and
some uncertainty about whether the package should be withdrawn or not. I'd
guess that would have to be resolved before releasing it (or not.)

I'm just following this process to flush the queue of packages waiting for a
review, sorry Daniel :)

Source package:

* man page is archived as gzipped in the source package, so it doesn't build
without doing a "make clean"

Now, when doing a "make clean":

rm -f core *.stackdump
gunzip update-sgml-catalog.8.gz
rm -Rf /usr/bin/update-sgml-catalog /etc/sgml/ /usr/share/sgml-base/
/usr/share/doc/sgml-base*

* A makefile should NOT rm -rf files on the system! BAD BAD BAD.

* The Makefile installs directly into system directories rather than making a
package.

* I can understand having a pure Cygwin package without upstream sources not
using the CYGWIN-PATCHES mechanism, but it should still follow the packaging
script guidelines, or at least have "make" build a package.

* In this case, the package uses upstream sources. The *.lsb and *.fhs files,
and the update-sgml-catalog script. Ideally, it would have a mechanism of
extracting the appropriate files out of one (or more) source packages and
patching them as needed. But since these aren't going to change much, it's
probably fine as it is. However: a package script, or at least a more sane
Makefile is very necessary.

* update-sgml-catalog is a fairly (ok, very) ugly script...I've noticed a lot
of Debian developers seem to strive for Perl4 compatibility :P

--
Rafael