Re: ANNOUNCE: cygbug - generic bug reporting tool (like Debian reportbug)

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 05:16:57PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Mar 23 10:28, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 05:10:03PM +0200, Jari Aalto+mail.linux wrote:
>>>It can be used to deliver messages to upstream developers concerning
>>>cygwin related bugs.  It can also be used to send patches to other
>>>Cugwin developer (I just sent one to ssmtp maintainer).
>>
>>"The ssmtp maintainer"?  So in other words, you're sending private
>>email to people whom you deem to be the maintainer?  That's really
>>counter to policy.
>>
>>Also, you quoted my mail about bugzilla but didn't address the issue of
>>how it would interrelate with bugzilla.
>>
>>Sorry, perhaps Corinna disagrees, but, so far, I don't see a need for
>>this package.
>
>I don't see a need for bugzilla either, but that's another problem.

I'd previously been against bugzilla because I was sure that the quality
of bug reporting from the cygwin community would pretty much suck.  However,
I do see some benefits in terms of attaching binaries, large test cases,
large strace logs, etc. which would just clutter the mailing list.  It
just needs some volunteers to act as policemen to either close non-bugs
or ask for appropriate amounts of information.

I had gotten some volunteers when I first asked for this a while ago but
I dragged my feet getting bugzilla set up.  It is set up now and just needs
to be populated with the correct categories and sub-categories.

cgf