Re: [RFC] Change to subversion package: Move /usr/bin/* -> /usr/bin/subversion/* and add symlinks in /usr/bin

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:32:30AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:02:59AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> My reluctance to do that is because the standard place to look for DLLs
>and
>>> programs on Cygwin is /usr/bin. I don't understand why, because they need
>>> be in a subdirectory, they should transfer to the less obvious /usr/lib
>>> tree.
>>
>> The FHS dictates no subdirectories in /usr/bin and I think it's a good
>> rule.  Program specific subdirectories belong in /usr/lib.

>> Why didn't rpm just put its binaries in /usr/bin/rpm?  Why didn't qt put
>> them in /usr/bin/qt?  Regardless of the reason, they put their packages
>> in /usr/lib.  So should you.
>
>OK, I'll use /usr/lib.
>
>Though the FHS actually permits subdirs of /usr/bin, even defining the
>meaning of one subdir, /usr/bin/mh
>
>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRBINMOSTUSERCOMMANDS

Hmm.  I couldn't get through to pathname.com last night and relied on a
secondary reference which stated in no uncertain terms that subdirectories
should not be created.  You just can't trust the internet...

cgf