Re: forwarding of announcements disabled?

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Brian Ford wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Andreas Seidl wrote:
>
> > It seems mails are no longer forwarded (and prefixed with
> > "[ANNOUNCEMENT]") from the cygwin-announce list to the cygwin list
> > anymore. So I have to send mails to both lists?
>
> I looks like something in your message confused the procmail recipe and
> it sent it back to cygwin-announce again.  I'll look into it as soon as I
> have time, but I'm swamped right now.
>
> This is working for the majority of announce messages, and the recipe is
> exactly CGF's old one.
>
> Sorry...

CGF notified me that fowarding another of your announcements failed in
the same manner.  I took a closer look and found his procmail recipe is
failing for subjects that contain embedded newlines.  This has happened
four times since I took over the forwarding; three of which were yours
:-(.

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-07/msg00006.html
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-08/msg00027.html
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-08/msg00036.html
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-08/msg00027.html

I'm afraid I need some help because I can't see how to fix this.  I'm far
from a procmail guru.

Here is the recipe snippet:

:0
* ^TO_cygwin-announce
{
    SUBJECT=`formail -xSubject:`
    FROM0=`formail -X'From '`
    FROM1=`formail -X'From:'`

    :0fW
    | formail -I '' \
        -I"$FROM0" \
        -I"$FROM1" \
        -I'To: cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com' \
        -I"Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT]$SUBJECT" \
        -I'Reply-To: cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com'

    :0
    !cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com
}

and the applicable verbose procmail log snippet:

procmail: Executing "formail,-xSubject:"
procmail: Assigning "SUBJECT= Updated: TeXmacs-1.0.4-4: A scientific wysiwyg Editor and Interface
 for Computer Algebra Systems"
procmail: Executing "formail,-XFrom "
procmail: Assigning "FROM0=From
cygwin-announce-return-1243-ford=vss-DOT-fsi-DOT-com-AT-cygwin-DOT-com  Thu Sep  2 12:59:48 2004" procmail: Executing "formail,-XFrom:"
procmail: Assigning "FROM1=From: Andreas Seidl <seidlcw-AT-gmx-DOT-net>"
procmail: Executing " formail -I '' \
            -I"$FROM0" \
            -I"$FROM1" \
            -I'To: cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com' \
            -I"Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT]$SUBJECT" \
            -I'Reply-To: cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com'"
Unmatched ".
procmail: Error while writing to " formail -I '' \
            -I"$FROM0" \
            -I"$FROM1" \
            -I'To: cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com' \
            -I"Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT]$SUBJECT" \
            -I'Reply-To: cygwin-AT-cygwin-DOT-com'"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded

Should I simply add a -c to the formail subject extraction?  Other ideas?

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer