Re: Package Proposal: Xcoral

I am contacting the authors of xcoral to ask for their cooperation with
developing this package. While this may not work, it would be the best
solution in the long run if their distribution is made more portable. I am
also porting xcoral to MAC OS X; where the same problem exists. So
changing the file names will kill 2 birds with one stone. And make the
management easier. However, I am prepared to release a "managed" mount
distribution of the xcoral source in the event that the authors do not
comply with the requests and/or if their response will be unacceptably

thanks for you support and suggestions,

Assistant Professor
Spelman College
"Genius is most often in the obvious"

E-Mail: (best way to reach me)
Physical: Science Bldg Office 219 (Tapley)
Phone: 404-270-5880
Fax: 404-270-5881
Spelman College
Computer Science Department Box #1257
350 Spelman Lane, SW
Atlanta, GA 30314

Igor Pechtchanski <>
10/05/04 12:57 PM
Please respond to cygwin-apps
        cc:     "Charles R. Hardnett" <>
        Subject:        Re: Package Proposal: Xcoral

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Hello Charles,
> [snip]
> > The port has been done, but I am having one trouble with the package
> > creation. To make the port, I had to move files to a different
> > For example "control.h" was moved to "lowercase/control.h" to avoid
> > name conflict with "Control.h". This means that the diff will not
> > an accurate patch since the filenames have been changed. How would I
> > about making a patch in this case?
> Use managed mounts to avoid renaming.
> export CWD=`pwd`
> mkdir xcoral-1.2.3
> mount -o managed `cygpath -m $CWD` $CWD/xcoral
> extract xcoral-1.2.3.tar.gz and build like you would build it on Unix
> too.

Please don't, at least not for the final package.  I'd be very wary of
putting packages into the distribution that would require managed mounts
to build.  Contact the upstream maintainers, and tell them that their
package is non-portable, and won't build on non-case-preserving
filesystems.  Ask them to change the name of either control.h or
Control.h.  In my experience, most projects (with the exception of a few
that are openly hostile towards any Windows tool) will accomodate Cygwin
by renaming the file (especially if it's a generated file).
Pechtchanski, Ph.D.

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw