Re: [ITP] email-2.3.0

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Ross Smith II wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Also, given that
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nail/nail/README?rev=HEAD&view=markup
> > states:
> >
> > "On the other hand, I strongly discourage from porting nail to Windows
> > and environments that make Windows look Unix-like; I won't accept any
> > patches or suggestions that go in this direction. There are two major
> > reasons for this: First, any port makes maintaining harder; there are
> > always more work-arounds in the source, and introducing new features
> > involves the question whether they will work an all supported platforms.
> > The more different a platform behaves from, let's say, the common Unix
> > way, the more hacks have to be made, costing human time that could
> > otherwise have been used to enhance the software for Unix platforms.
> > Windows is just not worth this, and here we are at the second point:
> > Porting software to Windows encourages people to use -- that is: to buy
> > -- Windows. It supports a company that is known to threaten Open Source
> > software like nail. In short, porting nail (or similar free software)
> > to Windows has an ill effect on that software. Don't do it."
>
> My general response to arguments like that is:  fuck 'em.  I'll port it just
> to be a thorn in the guys side.
>
> Harold

Good one, Harold.

We've been having this exact discussion every year or so...  Now that we
have managed mounts, however, this threat is actually valid.

Normally, I'd be against a package that *requires* managed mounts to
build, but in this particular case I'll make an exception.  Not that this
opinion counts one way or another -- it's up to CGF and Corinna anyway...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw