Re: setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 06:10:00PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Max Bowsher wrote:
>>Indeed, libcurl was one which came to mind.  I've yet to play with it,
>>but one thing I'm a little worried about is it being *too* extensive -
>>I don't want setup.exe to grow very much.
>>
>>I'm certainly going to look into libcurl, but I'm open to other
>>possibilities too.
>
>Sure, that's a concern.  However current setup.exe is only ~270kb when
>stripped, and even if that, say, doubled I don't see what the big deal
>would be.  It seems to me that being anorexic about the .exe size at
>the cost of robust net/url code is a premature optimization.
>
>As a test I grabbed the stock 7.12.2 sources and compiled a static
>libcurl.a with everything but http and ftp support disabled.  Before
>stripping the file is 2.0M, after stripping it's 129k.  The
>corresponding curl.exe is 163k after strip.  The only external lib that
>this .exe depends on is zlib, which is in setup already, no?

It would be nice if setup.exe supported the rsync protocol.  That would
also give you the ability to suspend and resume.  I don't know how easy
it would be to get librsync working in a mingw environment, though.

Would it help if setup.exe was broken down into two different programs?
One for accessing the network and another for manipulating packages?

cgf