Re: setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
It would be nice if setup.exe supported the rsync protocol.

Lapo and Brian have already covered this, so I'll just summarise:

* No library available implementing the rsync protocol
 (librsync implements a *different* protocol !!!)

* Package file scarcely ever change whilst keeping the same name.
 Also, they are compressed, so a small change is likely to cause
 the entire contents to change anyway. Therefore, rsync would not help.

Would it help if setup.exe was broken down into two different programs?
One for accessing the network and another for manipulating packages?

Why would it? I think it would be unnecessary complexity. All we need to do is pick an appropriately compact ftp/http lib (and it's beginning to look like libcurl is appropriately compact) and use it.

Max.