Re: HEADSUP: pcre security announcement

On Sep  7 06:35, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Corinna Vinschen on 9/7/2005 2:26 AM:
> > First a question to the maintainers in general:
> >
> > There's a dependency in pcre's setup.hint which pulls in the old libpcre
> > which I created ages ago and which lacks versioning support.  I just
> > checked and we don't have any package left which requires the old libpcre.
> >
> > Shouldn't we finally pull this crap from the distro?
>
> I don't see any reason why new packages should depend on old libraries, so
> it sounds fine to me if we quit supporting the old libpcre.

Like Igor said, the good old backward compatibility to existing foreign
packages.  But OTOH, that's not always maintained for other distros, so
why should we care for this forever?  Anyway, I think Igor's right, we
should put it into _obsolete_ for now.

> >>Here you go.  Since a lot of key programs (i.e. grep) depend on this,
> >>please test and make sure that this doesn't break anything.
>
> >>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/pcre/libpcre0/setup.hint
>
> Since grep is in Base, and grep depends on libpcre0, shouldn't libpcre0
> add Base to its setup.hint?  None of the other packages need to be in
> Base, because they aren't needed on a bare-bones installation.

I don't think so.  We're all sure that there are some Base packages
which add packages from Libs or something, but that works automagically
anyway.  I don't see a pressing reason to add all these libs to Base.

Red Hat, Inc.