[HELPFULL-REROLL] wget-1.10.1

I've been downloading lots of DVD ISO files of linux distributions lately (around 4 GB in size) and got burned a couple of times because wget did not support files larger than 2 GB; the behavior when a file was larger than 2 GB gave some false hope that perhaps the UI portion of wget couldn't handle greater than 2 GB but that the saving of the file might actually be fine. I downloaded several corrupt files > 2 GB until I did some searching and confirmed that wget did not support files this large but that some work was underway to fix this. Of course, wget is useful on files > 2 GB due to "wget -c", which will continue an aborted download for you.

Yesterday I did a search and found that wget had released version 1.10.1, which added support for files larger than 2 GB and they specifically mentioned that this worked on Windows (they didn't say Cygwin though, so I assume MinGW) as well.

Because I needed this support for files larger than 2 GB badly, I decided to reroll the Cygwin package so that I could start using it immediately. I took Hack's current package, replaced the build script with the gbs (plus the @VERSION@/@REL@ replacement sed job), removed a patch that was included upstream now, packaged it, and tested it with a 4 GB file, which worked great.

I am posting this package since it was useful to me and will probably be useful to others. I'm fine if Hack wishes to use it as his next release, use it as motivation to create his own next release, or ignore it completely.

In the meantime, you can point setup.exe at:

http://homer.starnet.com/~hunth/cygwin/

The package files can be downloaded here:

http://homer.starnet.com/~hunth/cygwin/release/wget/setup.hint
http://homer.starnet.com/~hunth/cygwin/release/wget/wget-1.10.1-1.tar.bz2
http://homer.starnet.com/~hunth/cygwin/release/wget/wget-1.10.1-1-src.tar.bz2

Oh, one nice thing is that the source package is 35% smaller since I bzip2'd the original source instead of leaving it gzipped.

Well, I'll just wait until someone lets me know if they want to post this update or if something else is going to happen instead.

Harold

setup.hint ==========

NOTE: This is the file from the web, which has "bash" as a dep instead of "ash" as the file in the source package had.

sdesc: "Utility to retrieve files from the WWW via HTTP and FTP"
ldesc: "GNU Wget is a file retrieval utility which can use either
the HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP protocols. Wget features include the ability
to work in the background while you're logged out, recursive retrieval
of directories, file name wildcard matching, remote file timestamp
storage and comparison, use of Rest with FTP servers and Range with
HTTP servers to retrieve files over slow or unstable connections,
support for Proxy servers, and configurability."
category: Web
requires: openssl libintl3 libiconv2 bash cygwin