Re: [ITP] libmad/libmad0/libmad-devel: A high-quality MPEG audio decoder

On Sep  7 19:03, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > Is it safe to assume that we don't get into trouble due to patenting,
>     > intellectual property, or any other related crap?
>
> Well this is the file COPYRIGHT from the source distribution, so I think yes:
>

>  libmad - MPEG audio decoder library
>  Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Underbit Technologies, Inc.
>
>  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>  (at your option) any later version.

I'm not talking about the licensing of libmad, I'm talking about Fraunhofer
and MP3, for instance.  Is it safe to have decoders and/or encoders in the
distro, just because they are OSS?  As I said, I don't like the idea to get
into trouble...

Corinna

P.S.: I refrain from elaborating what I think about software patents
and IP as well as patenting in general because we have to think of
the children.

Red Hat, Inc.