Re: Upset (was Re: [ITP] libmad/libmad0/libmad-devel: A high-qualityMPEG audio decoder)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, James R. Phillips wrote:

> --- Charles Wilson  wrote:
>
> > Side note: I often use an old copy of upset to generate setup.ini's for
> > my locally built packages which I store in a cygwin/release tree on my
> > private server, and add that URI to my setup.exe's URI list.  I once
> > advocated ("RFD: A modest proposal #2: unsupported"
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-04/msg00306.html) having an
> > 'unsupported' tree on the official mirrors similar to the existing
> > 'release' tree but that was shot down for good reason.  IIRC at some
> > point in the discussion it was pointed out that the existing
> > functionality in setup was sufficient to solve the problem I described,
> > and much more flexible, and did not require official sanction from the
> > cygwin mirror system.
>
> How nice for you, and other long-time cygwin developers/packagers that
> have been grandfathered into this arrangement, because you downloaded
> upset when it was available, which it is not now, thus reducing the
> testability and quality of packages built by those not having this
> resource.  It must be wonderful to have powerful tools like this - kind
> of like having unix available in windows.

I've asked this before, and didn't quite understand the rationale for
pulling upset from CVS (I *could* understand not accepting patches for it,
and vetoing attempts to add it to the distribution).  Upset is a tool that
lets others generate external mirrors with their own packages; keeping it
on sourceware essentially guarantees that those mirrors will have the
format compatible with setup.exe.  Perhaps we could bring it back as a
tool to aid packagers, with the comment at the top that it's not to be
changed or released by anyone except CGF?

FWIW, googling for "cygwin setup upset" brings up two versions: Yaakov's
(at cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net), and Reini's (at xarch.tu-graz.ac.at).
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/