Re: Tooltip delays (was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Cygwin setup.exe bugfix release 2.510.2.2)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > What about the two patches for the problems Eric reported?
>
> They looked good.  The one about the background color could be
> simplified a bit by a single call to SetBkMode in PickView::paint, but
> otherwise your patch was more or less what I had tried in my working dir
> after seeing the report.

You also need the change to BitBlt, otherwise the bitmaps get white
backgrounds too.

> The tooltip delay has been on my todo list forever, so I'm glad to see a
> patch fot it too.  However I'm not sure if calculating a delay based on
> the size of the tooltip is a great idea.

Why not?  The delay will never be shorter than the default, FWIW.

> I had planned to just set the delay to infinity (or whatever the max
> time is), and eliminate the question of how long to pause, and just have
> it disappear when the user moves off of the control.

Huh, for some reason I was under the mistaken impression that the tooltip
stayed shown for the duration of the delay even if the mouse left the
control...  I just verified that it works as you described -- so a long
default delay is fine too.  You can simply insert

SendMessage(TooltipHandle, TTM_SETDELAYTIME, TTDT_AUTOPOP, 32767);

into ActivateTooltips() and scrap my patch (though I kinda like the fact
that tooltips disappear faster, just in case I want to keep my mouse on a
button for a while).

> Does anyone else have an opinion on the tooltip delay?  Is an infinite
> delay a UI no-no?

I don't think we can make the delay infinite, anyway, but with almost 33
seconds, let's just make sure we don't have 2-page tooltips. :-)

> I didn't include them in this .2 update because I wanted to just get
> something out ASAP since the crashing seemed to be an acute problem.

That's ok.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/