Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Cygwin setup.exe bugfix release 2.510.2.2

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
Well, destabilizing changes *are* made to HEAD occasionally, but testing
is the way to deal with those...  I'd suggest tagging each release, but
only converting the tag to a branch for back-ported fixes from the trunk.
That way, regular releases will have the trunk versions, and only the
patched one get the 4-digit branch versions.  I don't think we need a
specialized release branch.

I agree with all of the above motivation, but since a branch with no commits is literally just a special kind of tag, why not create the branch in the first place?
If it then turns out we need it, we use it. If not, no effort is wasted, we just continue on trunk, and create a new release branches at each release from trunk.

Max.