Re: [ITP] id3lib and easytag

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep  8 16:09, Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> See the thread about Volker's libmad ITP.  This contains MP3 related code.
> I'm a bit more relaxed in this case since it just reads and generates
> these tags, however, is this tag handling patent/IP free as far as
> reading/writing MP3s is concerned?

MP3 files are basicly just MPEG1 streams with no video. The MPEG stream is
build from frames which contain either video chunks, audio chunks and extra
data like tagging information. So basicly ID3 is independent from the MP3
coding process which affects only the data in the audio frames.

On www.id3.org I can find no information that tagging audiofiles has any
license or patent issues. http://www.mp3licensing.com/patents/index.html
lists only patents which appear (judging from the summary) to affect only
compression, digital encoding and storing the digital signals in the MP3
stream and channels.

Nevertheless the easytag source contains mpg123 which is most likely used
to determine the internals of the MP3 data and the playtime but uses an
external audioplayer (xmms) to play the file.

Let's see what other people do:

Opensuse 10 has removed libmad from the download but id3lib stayed. They don't
have easytag as package.
Debian has id3lib and easytag packages.

bye
	ago