[GTG] Re: ITP: bzr -- Next-generation distributed GNU Arch compatibleversion control (Python)

According to Jari Aalto on 9/10/2005 1:49 AM:

> The helper library cygbuild.pl is only needed for making source
> packages, not binary. Therefore the message "To build a source
> package...".
>
> | [...]
> | ./bzr-0.0.7-1.sh: line 1143: type: cygbuild.pl: not found
> | [NOTE] To build a source package you may need to install
> | http://cygbuild.sourceforge.net/
> | -- Done.
>

> It should have created the binary package. If it didn't then there is
> some bug. There should have been message
>
>     -- Making package [binary]... PATH/NAME
>
> And the end should have been indicated with:
>
>     -- [finish] Removing  ... THE/SOURCE/DIR
>
> It appears that the finish comes out with an error code in this
> situation. I've now fixed this.

Indeed you are correct - the latest source tarball can recreate the binary
package.  So I think this package is good to go (this was my first formal
package review, by the way, in case any other maintainer wants to chime
in).  I went ahead and uploaded it, so send an announcement to
cygwin-announce.

> | Any chance you can ITP cygbuild first, and make it part of the
> | cygwin distro? It sounds useful, at any rate. I think a user should
> | be able to recreate a binary tarball using what is available as part
> | of the standard distro, rather than having to resort to grabbing
> | something from CVS.
>
> I could, but the version would be outdated soon. Updates and
> corrections are best routed through CVS. I think it would need more
> test users to try it out until bundling with Cygwin. Install for
> developers is simple:
>
>   $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cygbuild co cygbuild
>   passoword: [return]
>   $ cd cygbuild ; make install-cvs

Fair enough for now.  gnulib is another project that falls into the
category of being used primarily by developers, where bleeding edge CVS is
more important than snapshots that are quickly outdated.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net