Re: [ITP] id3lib and easytag

On Sep  9 12:44, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Sep  9 11:25, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> >
> > ...and I just read that OpenSuse 10.0 will have MP3 support by default
> > again.  I'm seriously irritated.  I have to look into how to proceed.
> > Give me a couple of days.
>
> Ok. Awaiting the decision.

Ok, I got a decision.  We can include easytag and id3lib into the
distribution if you take out the MP3 related code, which is libmpg,
IIUC.  The package would still be able to work with Ogg/Vorbis, Flac,
etc, right?

As long as the distro is released on this US based server, the general
rules what we can include and what we cannot include in the distribution
are basically the same as for the Fedora project(1):

  * If it is proprietary, it cannot be included in Fedora^WCygwin.
  * If it is legally encumbered, it cannot be included in Cygwin.
  * If it violates US Federal law, it cannot be included in Cygwin.

As for SuSE and Debian, SuSE is located in another country and maybe
they even pay royalties, we don't know.  Debian has a different legal
point of view than Red Hat as has been discussed fairly recently on the
debian-legal list(2).  Due to our presence on a Red Hat server, we're
bound to Red Hat rules for now.

Corinna

(1) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems, just ignore the NTFS
    rule to maintain mental health.