Re: Adding a "Maintainer: " field to setup.hint

On Sep 15 21:03, Eric Blake wrote:
> > I'm thinking about adding a maintainer field to setup.hint which would
> > have meaning only in setup.hint but would allow us to more easily track
> > who maintains what.  It would look like this:
> >
> >   Maintainer: Chris Faylor
> >
> > i.e., no email address, just a person's name (for obvious reasons).
> >
> > I could then add this information to the cygwin packages web page.
>
> I'm all for it.
>

> > Orphaned packages would be changed to either "Orphaned" or "Up for Grabs"
> > or "MIA".
>
> I'd go for "Orphaned".
>

> > Does anyone have a problem with this?  If not, I'll use the info that
> > Corinna is gathering to modify the setup.hints on sourceware.org.
> >
> > cgf
>
> Also, the package maintainence instructions should be updated
> to state that once you are a maintainer, you are considered to
> be the maintainer until you provide a new setup.hint changing
> the Maintainer: field, or when a request to reach you on the
> cygwin-apps list goes unanswered for a period of time (6 weeks,
> like the current maintainer poll?).

That might be a good idea.  We should also add that setup.hint
is required to contain a "maintainer" line from now on.

> Should we also have some sort of timeout policy on obsolete
> packages, where once a package has been in the _obsolete
> category for at least 2 years (or some other time length) it is
> automatically a candidate for removal from the distro?

That's tricky.  I'm all for it but people will have dependencies on
obsoleted packages.  On the other hand, even Linux distros don't
keep all compatibility packages around and sometimes an entire
tool is obsoleted and removed because there's a shiny replacement.
2 or 3 years sounds good to me.

Red Hat, Inc.