Re: setup: how to handle circular dependencies?

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
I must call setup twice to completely uninstall gcc or to downgrade gcc.

Gcc is not the only case. My boss wanted me to clean cygwin off of his computer, so as a lark I tried to use setup to do it.

I had to run setup about 50 times, because of all the circular dependencies. Next time, I'll just blow away the tree, clean up the Start Menu, clean out the registry entries, and uninstall the services manually. (*)

However, I'm not sure there's a "nice" way to fix this without breaking some other aspect of the dependency logic.

(*) Hmm. This is a pretty complex operation. Maybe we should have an "uninstall cygwin completely" application? Or at least a FAQ listing these steps? My guess:

   from a bash window:
   cygrunsrv -L
   foreach entry: cygrunsrv -E X; cygrunsrv -R X
   close window.

   using setup, uninstall X-start-menu-icons, if installed.
   ? how to programmatically remove the non-X cygwin start menu stuff ?

using Windows Explorer, delete entire cygwin root folder

Still have to manually remove cygwin keys in registry -- both HKLM and in HKCU.

Icky.

--
Chuck