Re: Update: apache-1.3.33-1

> Two weeks and no response.  Another two weeks and the package is up for
> grabs.  Otherwise I'll pull the apache package from the distro.

Corinna,

sorry for this very, very late response. I managed to be back to this
mailing list with a new account, since my old one did not reach the
list anymore. In compensation I created a new release 2 that covers
also Gerrit's question.

Gerrit,

> > I upgraded from some older version (probably from around 2002)
> > and expected the old service to run without changes.
> >
> > However, it doesn't run.
> >
> > What happens to the option -k which needs to be issued to
> > prevent apache to detach in the background?  I get nothing
> > but an error when I specify -k.  Why is there zero information
> > in the README how to setup apachae as a service?
> >
> > Could you add some information in the README how to install
> > apache as service, please?

The -k option is only valid for WIN32 platforms not running under Cygwin.
However, there is a -F option for running Apache in the foreground. Please
see the following section I added to the README:

Starting the daemon:

You can start the daemon either as a Windows service or as a Cygwin
background
process.

Use cygrunsrv to install Apache as Windows service:

 # Install HTTPD that starts automatically after system bring up:
 $ cygrunsrv.exe -I httpd -d "CYGWIN httpd" -p /usr/sbin/httpd -a -F

 # Install HTTPD that starts manually after system bringup:
 $ cygrunsrv.exe -I httpd -d "CYGWIN httpd" -p /usr/sbin/httpd -a -F -t
manual

The -F option is needed to run the daemon in foreground.

To remove the service call:

 $ cygrunsrv.exe -R httpd

The service can be started/stopped with the MS net command:

 $ net start httpd
 $ net stop httpd

Since the daemon is started as SYSTEM user, make sure the user configuration
in /etc/apache/httpd.conf is set to a valid user. In case the service stops
unexpectedly, check /var/log/apache/error_log for errors.

The daemon can also be started/stopped using the common /usr/sbin/apachectl
script. However, this starts the daemon not as a service:

 $ /usr/sbin/apachectl start
 $ /usr/sbin/apachectl stop

I will send the upload request now.

Hope this helps and sorry again,