Re: base-files: Does not permit the use of symlinks in /etc/profile.d/

On Sep 17 07:19, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Max Bowsher on 9/16/2005 4:27 PM:
> > The current /etc/profile does not permit the use of symlinks in
> > /etc/profile.d/ - it ignores them.
> >
> > Unfortunately, even if this was fixed in the package, existing installs
> > wouldn't get fixed, because /etc/profile is handled via /etc/defaults :-(
> >
> > /me gives up on finding a way for /sbin/alternatives to influence $MANPATH.
>
> Here's my idea - add a /etc/profile/symlinkhandler.sh that detects whether
> /etc/profile has been patched yet, and if not, source all the symlinks in
> /etc/profile.  Now which package should provide that (alternatives vs.
> base-files vs. something else), I'm not sure.  But you are also right that
> base-files should be patched to source links to regular files as well as
> regular files.  One idea is to change that the appropriate line in
> /etc/default/etc/profile from 'if [ -f "${f}" ]' to 'if [ ! -d "$f/" ]'.

I'm wondering if base-files can't check if /etc/profile has been changed,
for instance, using md5sum.  Then it could overwrite the file if it's still
the original version, or, if it has been changed, move it away to, for
instance, /etc/profile.SAV or something.

Red Hat, Inc.