Re: [not GTG] Re: ITP: bogofilter -- Statistical Bayesian spam filter

According to Jari Aalto on 9/17/2005 6:31 AM:

> | Also, it is a good idea to have a file /etc/preremove/bogofilter-manifest.lst,
> | which lists every file that was created by the postinstall script, and which
> | will be removed on preremove if untouched by the user.  Someday,
> | 'cygcheck -c' might parse the manifest lists to help diagnose if
> | postinstalls have not completed.
>
> That works, thanks. I added preremove and made new packages.

Usually, the manifest file is part of the package, and not created during
postinstall.  But that alone is not a showstopper.

> | > I've rolled up new archive.
> |
> | I'll let you get the preremove script in first, before checking out the
> | new package.  Thanks for putting up with my nit-picking :)
>
> Not at all, four eyes see more than one pair.
>
> Jari
>
> A) use this
>
>   wget --non-verbose        \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/bogofilter/setup.hint \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/bogofilter/bogofilter-0.96.1-1.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/bogofilter/bogofilter-0.96.1-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/bogofilter/bogofilter-0.96.1-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/bogofilter/bogofilter-0.96.1-1-src.tar.bz2

Your source package still includes the binary tarball, which is not
necessary (it bloats the source package, and the point of the source
package is to build the binary tarball from scratch, not to extract it
from the source tarball).  You got away with this on bzr (I didn't think
to check for it), but in bogofilter, your source tarball is 4.7 meg of
which 3.9 meg is the binary tarball.

Also, one reason your binary package is huge is that you still statically
linked in libiconv, rather than dynamic.  Your four .exes are much bigger
than they need to be; you need to make sure `cygcheck
usr/bin/bogofilter.exe' shows the dependence on cygiconv-2.dll, so that
the change you made in setup.hint to depend on libiconv2 is correct.  Once
the dynamic linking takes place, your binary tarball will shrink in size.

I'm also still getting the same failures when running the
'bogofilter-0.96.1-1.sh all', related to not finding iconv and iconv_open,
so your build setup has not yet fixed that issue.

So, I'm going to have to say still not GTG, and await turnaround for
another attempt.  We'll get there yet, I'd really like to see bogofilter
in cygwin!

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net