[not GTG] Re: Please test and upload graphviz-2.2.1-1

According to Vlad on 9/13/2005 3:01 AM:

>     It took longer then I anticipated, but it is done now.   Please test
> and upload graphviz.  The URLs are below.
>
> http://dhost.v-lad.org/cygwin/graphviz/setup.hint
> http://dhost.v-lad.org/cygwin/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1-1-src.tar.bz2
> http://dhost.v-lad.org/cygwin/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1-1.tar.bz2
>                              Vlad

The binary tarball creates /usr/share/man/mann/ and
/usr/share/graphviz/demo/pathplan_data/, but does not populate them.  Any
reason why?  /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ is empty, but needs to contain
graphviz-2.2.1.README.  /usr/share/doc/graphviz-2.2.1/ is empty, but it
looks like what would normally go there (NEWS, ChangeLog, etc) ended up in
/usr/share/graphviz/doc instead; probably okay.  Something must have gone
weird in your use of the generic-build-script; also you may want to grab a
newer version of g-b-s (it's at 1.35, but you used 1.34).

All your libraries are static, but you used libtool.  Any chance you can
create both static and dynamic libraries?  And if you do create dynamic
libraries, you may need to subdivide the package into graphviz (your
executables), libgraphviz (the dlls), and libgraphviz-devel (the headers
for people to link against libgraphviz statically or dynamically).
However, if other people are anxious for graphviz, and are okay with just
the static libraries, you can wait for a subsequent release to figure out
splitting out dynamic libraries.  You may also want to split out a
graphviz-doc package, but that is not a requirement.

Your setup.hint is incomplete.  usr/bin/twopi.exe alone depends on
cygpng12.dll, cygexpat-0.dll, cygfontconfig-1.dll, cygiconv-2.dll, and
cygjpeg-62.dll, but none of the packages that own these dlls were listed
in your dependencies.  Also, since dotty is a shell script, you need to
list bash as a dependency.

My smoke-test of the binaries failed, did you miss building lefty?
$ PATH=/tmp/graphviz/usr/bin:$PATH
$ dotty
lefty: Command not found.
dotty: cannot locate the lefty program
       make sure that your path includes
       the directory containing dotty and lefty

The source package fails during the build, with:
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/tmp/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1/gd -I..
- -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -O2 -Wall -MT gdkanji.lo
- -MD -MP -MF .deps/gdkanji.Tpo -c /tmp/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1/gd/gdkanji.c
- -o gdkanji.o
/tmp/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1/gd/gdkanji.c:30: error: conflicting types for
'iconv'
/usr/include/iconv.h:44: error: previous declaration of 'iconv' was here
/tmp/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1/gd/gdkanji.c:30: error: conflicting types for
'iconv'
/usr/include/iconv.h:44: error: previous declaration of 'iconv' was here
make[2]: *** [gdkanji.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/graphviz/graphviz-2.2.1/.build/gd'

So, my verdict is not ready for upload yet, but I look forward to a retry
(I've used dotty before, and am appreciative of its ability to visualize a
graph).

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net