Re: [not GTG] Re: ITP: bogofilter -- Statistical Bayesian spam filter

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, Eric Blake wrote:

> > | -Install() only creates /etc/bogofilter.cf once, but if the user
> > | does not touch this file, then when they upgrade bogofilter, they
> > | should get the latest and greated bogofilter.cf instead of being
> > | stuck with the one from their first download.
> >
> > This is a problem that I have no solution. Can you share your thoughts
> > how this could be done intelligently? The problem I see is:
> >
> >    If /etc/xxx.conf is already there, there is no way knowing if this
> >    has remained the same or if user has made changes to it. The new
> >
> > Cygwin does not have conflict resolution of /etc/ file like seen in
> > Debian, so it is more safer to just let user to check under
> > /usr/share/doc/<package> for new features.
>
> This really ought to be documented better on the packaging instructions
> page.  The trick is to use a preremove script (see how base-files does
> it, for example).  A file named /etc/preremove/bogofilter.sh will be
> called just before the package is uninstalled (setup.exe uninstalls the
> old version before installing the upgraded version), so in that script,
> if /etc/xxx.conf exists and is identical to /usr/share/doc/xxx.template,
> just delete it.  But if it differs at all, leave it alone.

FWIW, if someone can come up with a nice way to automagically generate
such preremove scripts and manifests, I would be glad to review patches to
the generic build script for this...

> Also, it is a good idea to have a file
> /etc/preremove/bogofilter-manifest.lst, which lists every file that was
> created by the postinstall script, and which will be removed on
> preremove if untouched by the user.  Someday, 'cygcheck -c' might parse
> the manifest lists to help diagnose if postinstalls have not completed.

	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu