Re: setup.hint: curr: prev: test: tags

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Yaakov S wrote:
>
> > Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> >
> > > It will never be installed for a user who has already 0.8.x?
> >
> > Yes, it will be; but it's small, and I intend to mention this upon
> > announcement.  After the switch, those who don't want 0.6.x can just
> > uninstall it on the next run of setup.exe.
>
> We cannot do this!  If one ignores advice and is installing libIDL2 it
> will overwrite the current libIDL.  If the current libIDL is uninstalled
> after installing libIDL2 it will be broken.  Have not the right idea how
> to handle it gracefully.
>
> We must ensure that an installation of libIDL2 forces the current libIDL
> to be uninstalled at first.  I still think the easiest way would be to
> rename libIDL to ORBit-libIDL or to include it completely into the
> ORBit package.  Then in addition to create an empty libIDL package which
> will uninstall the current.

Why go to all the trouble?  If you want to rename some files, just do it
in the "libIDL" package, and then release "libIDL2", which possibly
clashes with the *old* libIDL.  As long as the new libIDL is uploaded
before libIDL2, everything is kosher.

Example: suppose libIDL contains a file called cygidl.dll.  You want
libIDL2 to contain cygidl.dll, and libIDL to provide cygidl-old.dll.
Simply release "libIDL" with cygidl-old.dll -- installing that will
*remove* cygidl.dll.  Then one can install "libIDL2" that contains
cygidl.dll.

IOW, I don't see the problem here.
	Igor
--