Re: setup.hint: curr: prev: test: tags

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
We cannot do this!  If one ignores advice and is installing libIDL2 it
will overwrite the current libIDL.  If the current libIDL is uninstalled
after installing libIDL2 it will be broken.  Have not the right idea how
to handle it gracefully.

I've been through this seemingly a hundred times already. libIDL-0.6 and libIDL2-0.8 have zero file collisions, and by simultaneously removing the old libIDL-0.8, setup.exe will automatically "upgrade" libIDL-0.8 to libIDL-0.6, and pull in libIDL2 as a requirement of ORBit2.

I will mention in my announcement about this change -- and perhaps the announcement should precede the upload, just in case -- and all users will have to do if they don't want GNOME 1.4 libraries is to uninstall libIDL.

We must ensure that an installation of libIDL2 forces the current libIDL
to be uninstalled at first.  I still think the easiest way would be to
rename libIDL to ORBit-libIDL or to include it completely into the
ORBit package.  Then in addition to create an empty libIDL package which
will uninstall the current.

No, no, no. My directions were precisely made in order to circumvent this issue.

BTW, this will all apply to libart_lgpl as well, since as previously discussed, I intend to break out gnome-libs into separate packages, one of them being libart_lgpl-2.2.0; libart_lgpl will need to be similarly renamed to libart_lgpl2 (and fix the dependent setup.hint's).

That can, of course, only happen once ORBit and libIDL are uploaded.

Yaakov