Re: please upload: lesstif-0.94.4-1 test release

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I wasn't following the back and forth about this.  Why are there
> explicit dependencies in setup.hint which skip over lesstif-0.93.96-2?

> >On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Brian Ford wrote:
> >
> >> As far as I'm concerned, the previous test release, 0.93.96-2, may be
> >> removed.

> If this version isn't going to be used, then we might as well just
> delete it and use the natural version sorting.

It was my understanding that when a test release is present, all versions
need to be explicitly stated in setup.hint.  If this is incorrect, the
following paragraphs from http://cygwin.com/setup.html need to be
corrected:

In general, you should trust the automatic setup.ini generator to "do the
right thing" -- with one exception. If you decide that you need to release
a test version of your package, there is no way for the setup.ini
generator to know that.

So, you will have to put something like "test: 1.9-1" in your setup.hint
file. This will cause setup.exe to characterize the 1.9-1 version as a
"test" package. With the current setup.exe implementation, it will also
mean that it will be overlooked by most people during installation. So,
unless you have made arrangements to advertise your test release, this
option should be used sparingly.

Note that if any of the curr, prev, or test options are used, they will
short circuit all of the automatic version detection used for generating
setup.ini. So, if you include a test option, and you have valid current
and/or previous tar files, you must specify curr and/or prev. Otherwise,
the only version that setup.exe will display will be the test version.

> prev: 0.93.91-6
> curr: 0.93.94-2
> test: 0.94.4-1

Signed,

The confused candidate Cygwin LessTif maintainer...

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer