Re: postgresql-8.01 and 8.1 ready

Jason Tishler schrieb:
On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 11:37:46AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Sep 23 10:30, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
Reini Urban wrote:
Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
Reini Urban wrote:
Installing as service is quite hard without sysbash, [snip]

So it is not possible to run this as service?

No, now you have two options to run it as service: cygrunsrv and pg_ctl.

What is the problem with the method used in postgres 7?

Nothing.

>>>What is sysbash?

Not yet a package unfortunately.

[snip]

Good questions. Ideally I'd assume that the new postgresql just works as a replacement for the old postgresql so that existing service installations using cygrunsrv are not suddenly broken.

postgresql-8.x work with various types of service registrations
and start methods:
* The native one is via pg_ctl (new).
* My new init.d script is to mimic the old and wellknown behaviour using cygrunsvr (as before).
* And then you can always start postmaster as before, without service and without pg_ctl.

Important changes from 7.x to 8.x:
* admin binaries in /usr/sbin, and not in /usr/bin anymore.
  (similar to debian)
* native windows service functions added to pg_ctl
* contrib binaries in /usr/lib/postgresql/bin

I recommend to set PGDATA to /usr/share/postgresql/data-8.0.
PGDATA is versioned and you can easily have multiple PGDATA dirs.
I have data-7.4, data-8.0 and data-8.1

To be specific, why doesn't the following (excerpt) from my PostgreSQL
7.x README work for 8.x?

    $ cygserver-config
    $ net user postgres $password /add /fullname:postgres /comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)"
    $ mkpasswd -l -u postgres >>/etc/passwd
    $ cmd /c secpol.msc # grant postgres "Log on as a service" user right
    $ cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D /var/postgresql/data -i" --dep cygserver --termsig INT --user postgres --shutdown

Because 8.x put postmaster into /usr/sbin I haven't checked --termsig INT though. -- Reini