Re: libming and ploticus (Attn: SWI-Prolog maintainer)

On Sep 26 11:22, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Reini Urban wrote:
> > I forgot to mention that SWI-Prolog already has pl.exe in a seperate
> > location, and /usr/bin/pl is just a symlink to that.
> >
> > On SWI-Prolog installation the symlink is overwritten by setup.exe to
> > use the prolog binary, and on ploticus installation the same, just by
> > the postinstall script. There's no action required at the SWI-Prolog
> > side.
>
> I'm not sure I parsed the last paragraph correctly, but if I did, then the
> action of creating the symlink for SWI-Prolog is unconditional.  It needs
> to be made conditional, just like the one for ploticus, otherwise
> installing SWI-Prolog will *always* overwrite the symlink.

Sorry, but the prolog interpreter is historically always named pl.  And
a name clash like this, which provides *entirely* different tools using
the same name shouldn't be solved on a "first come, first serve" base.
This isn't the same situation as with ksh and pdksh or ash and bash.
So, no, I won't change the SWI-Prolog package to create /usr/bin/pl
only if it doesn't exist.  What's the problem having ploticus being named
ploticus?

Red Hat, Inc.