Re: 2nd summary (was Re: [HEADSUP] ALL Maintainers, please reply.)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:19:36PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >There is no clear maintainer.  I was asking if you'd be interested in
> >>making this available via ncurses.
> >>
> >>If you release a new version of ncurses which contributes a 'clear',
> >>I'll delete the clear package.
> >
> >I've got a new release of ncurses which contains /usr/bin/clear.exe
> >ready to go (but not yet copied into /release).
> >
> >Go ahead an put an empty clear package up on sources (clear-1.0-2 ?) and
> >we'll let that propagate, and then I'll move my new ncurses over to
> >release/.
>
> I know that there was some talk of releasing an empty clear package but
> I don't see how that would be useful.  If I do that then we stand the chance
> of eliminating clear.exe when the clear package is "updated", meaning that
> we could conceivably remove the clear.exe that ncurses installed.
>
> I think the only thing we can do is remove clear from the distribution.

Actually, it's the other way around.  If the new (empty) clear package and
the new ncurses are pushed to the mirrors together, the ownership of
clear.exe goes to ncurses.  Whenever both are installed, both will be
upgraded, thus "moving" clear.exe to ncurses.

If that doesn't happen, imagine someone running "cygcheck -f /bin/clear"
and getting both "ncurses" and "clear".  He may then think "ok, why do I
need that clear package when I have a better one (ncurses)?", and
uninstall "clear".  Whoops -- "clear.exe" will be gone.

You're right that if the new ncurses is released *first*, there's a
potential window of time when mirrors can still grab the new "ncurses" and
the old "clear", thus causing filename clash.  Releasing the empty "clear"
after that would cause the clear.exe installed by "ncurses" to be removed.
If you release the empty "clear" before "ncurses", it's also possible that
the users will upgrade "clear", thus removing clear.exe, but still have
the old "ncurses"...  That's why I think they should be released together.

Sorry for the rambling, it's almost 2am...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu