Re: postgresql-8.01 and 8.1 ready

Reini,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:45:45PM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:
> Signal TERM is correctly handled by postmaster, postmaster running as
> SYSTEM owned service.  So --termsig INT is not needed anymore.

AFAICT, SIGTERM was always handled by postmaster.

> I'd prefer TERM over INT: smart shutdown vs. fast shutdown

The "problem" with smart shutdown is it waits for all clients to
disconnect before shutting down.  So, Windows will eventually just kill
postmaster during machine shut down if at least one client is still
connected.  This is why I recommended using SIGINT in my README.  IMO, a
fast shutdown is better than the possibility of an aborted smart
shutdown.  Of course, a DBA if free to configure PostgreSQL however they
see fit.

Jason