Re: 2nd summary (was Re: [HEADSUP] ALL Maintainers, please reply.)

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:55:59AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Sep 27 01:46, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>> > I know that there was some talk of releasing an empty clear package but
>> > I don't see how that would be useful.  If I do that then we stand the chance
>> > of eliminating clear.exe when the clear package is "updated", meaning that
>> > we could conceivably remove the clear.exe that ncurses installed.
>> >
>> > I think the only thing we can do is remove clear from the distribution.
>>
>> Actually, it's the other way around.  If the new (empty) clear package and
>> the new ncurses are pushed to the mirrors together, the ownership of
>> clear.exe goes to ncurses.  Whenever both are installed, both will be
>> upgraded, thus "moving" clear.exe to ncurses.
>
>I've uploaded new empty clear packages.  I've not put the clear package
>into the _obsolete category so far.  Can I do this already?

Uh, I'm still not convinced that this is the right way to handle this.  It seems
VERY obvious to me that releasing a package which deletes clear.exe is going to
cause problems.

Just deleting the old clear package will cause there to be two packages on the
user's disk which own "clear.exe" but, since only ncurses will ever be updated
from now on, it will always effectively have ownership of clear.exe.

cgf