Re: postgresql-8.01 and 8.1 ready

Jason Tishler wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:45:45PM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:
Signal TERM is correctly handled by postmaster, postmaster running as
SYSTEM owned service.  So --termsig INT is not needed anymore.

AFAICT, SIGTERM was always handled by postmaster.

I'd prefer TERM over INT: smart shutdown vs. fast shutdown

The "problem" with smart shutdown is it waits for all clients to disconnect before shutting down. So, Windows will eventually just kill postmaster during machine shut down if at least one client is still connected. This is why I recommended using SIGINT in my README. IMO, a fast shutdown is better than the possibility of an aborted smart shutdown. Of course, a DBA if free to configure PostgreSQL however they see fit.

Thanks for the explanation! I should add this to the new README as well.
I'll release an updated package with the minor --termsig INT change in the init.d script then.
Just building gdal, geos, postgis and slony-I, BTW.
--
Reini