Re: Packages with unusual (wrong?) tarball names (db, xemacs)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:52:18 +0100, in gmane.os.cygwin.applications
you wrote:

>The (adhoc?) standard for package file names, which for the most part is
>followed, is:
>
>NAME-VERSION-RELEASE.tar.bz2       <-- for binary packages
>NAME-VERSION-RELEASE-src.tar.bz2    <-- for source packages
>
>VERSION and RELEASE should not contain '-' characters.
>NAME is allowed to contain '-' characters, but NAME should not contain a '-'
>character immediately followed by a digit, because this would look too much
>like the start of VERSION.
>

>There are a few packages in the distribution which do not follow these
>rules:
>
>!!! ./db/db2 db-2.7.7-4-src.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db2 db-2.7.7-4.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db3.1 db-3.1.17-2-src.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db3.1 db-3.1.17-2.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db4.1 db-4.1.25-1-src.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db4.1 db-4.1.25-1.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db4.2 db-4.2.52-1-src.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db4.2 db-4.2.52-1.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db4.3 db-4.3.28-1-src.tar.bz2
>!!! ./db/db4.3 db-4.3.28-1.tar.bz2
>
>^^^ These packages do not reflect their package name in their file name.

Max,

I only used that scheme because it was the one Chuck had used in his
non-official db packages.  At the time I saw no reason to change them,
and I think it might be best to leave them as-is for now.

Cheers,
Nicholas