Re: libungif (was: Re: 2nd summary (was Re: [HEADSUP] ALL Maintainers, please reply.))

On Sep 28 20:10, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:06:31 -0500, in gmane.os.cygwin.applications
> you wrote:

> >Lapo Luchini wrote:
> >> I'd say "up for grabs".
> >> I always used to say it's "low priority", but being so low it didn't
> >> get updated in months probably means that someone else may well be
> >> more interested in it...
> >
> >I'm interested in keeping this going.  But before I package it, was a
> >decision ever made about including giflib in the net release (in terms
> >of legalities)?  This will make a big difference in how I would package
> >libungif.
>
> We already had this discussion awhile back, and despite the FUD from
> the FSF, the patent has long since expired worldwide.  The only
> company which might have a claim is IBM (which expires at the end of
> this year), do you really think they'd care (given their recnt battle
> with SCO)?  Most other opensource packages with LZW capabilities have
> already quitely re-integrated it back into the default source.

I don't think the FSF information given on
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html qualifies as FUD.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00189.html

Fedora also only supports uncompressing gifs via libungif.  Other
packages, like gimp, don't support creating LZW compressed GIFs,
unly uncompressed or run-length encoded.

This means, let's stick with libungif until at least 2006-08-12.

Red Hat, Inc.