Re: [ITP] ploticus, libploticus, ploticus-common, ploticus-doc (revised)

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:02:12PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:

Maybe you're right.  I don't have much experience with library packages and so
overlooked this.  Do others agree?

Yes. static libraries belong in a -devel package.

I don't see *any* .h files in the packages. A C library is pretty useless for development without them. The following headers are in the source package:

ploticus-2.32/src/plg.h
ploticus-2.32/src/pl.h
ploticus-2.32/src/tdhkit.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gd13/gd.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gd16/gd.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gd16/gd_io.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gd_io.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gdfontg.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gdfontl.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gdfontmb.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gdfonts.h
ploticus-2.32/src/gdfontt.h
ploticus-2.32/src/x11shades.h
ploticus-2.32/src/special_chars.h
ploticus-2.32/pltestsuite/plconfig.spanish
ploticus-2.32/pltestsuite/data10h

However, I couldn't find any Linux ploticus packages that distribute these headers -- mainly because they ALSO do not distribute the static library, either. (Note that the "official" linux binary package on the ploticus homepage ALSO does not distribute the lib nor headers)

It seems that libploticus.a is simply a "convenience" library, intended to make building ploticus.exe (aka 'pl') easier. It does not appear that the ploticus team really intended to furnish a publicly reusable API.

In that case, it might just be better to not distribute the library or the headers at all, but this decision would require further research. Maybe the original poster could contact the ploticus development team and ask their advice on packaging?

--
Chuck