Re: Multiple pending setup patches

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> To reiterate, I think that it makes sense to differ between a
> *manually added* mirror and a chosen mirror from the official mirror
> list, which is just dead or comatose or something.
>
> Manually added mirrors are usually either company mirrors or in some
> other way under control of the user so there should be no need to
> hint the user that a manually added mirror is not in the list of
> official mirrors.
>
> This is pretty different from the situation which the above dialog would
> be about to solve or soothe.  Just an extra single bit of information
> would help a lot.
>
> Except for the manually added mirror situation, I'm all for the dialog
> and/or a CLI switch.

Except, from the standpoint of setup there is no way to distinguish the
following two scenarios:

A) User knowingly uses local company mirror, or uses a non-official
mirror to install non-official packages.

B) 2 years ago, user chose a mirror located on a ISDN line in Outer
Mongolia that was current at the time, but which later stopped mirroring
cygwin.com and was removed from mirrors.lst.  But because setup
remembers the last used mirror, it's still in the list as the default
selection and the user just keeps on trying to use it because he just
presses Next each time.

In either case, setup has no way of knowing the intent.  A manually
added mirror looks just the same as one that was once on the official
list but no longer is.

I like the idea of "Don't show this again" option because it's a
standard dialog item that people are familiar with, and it makes it easy
for them to acknowledge that they might be doing something wrong but
they don't want to be pestered about it every time they run setup.  But
I'll also add a commandline switch.

Brian