Re: [ITP] Questions

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 05:57:14AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:

> > 3) If a package needs a specific tool to build it, such as asciidoc being needed for
> >    git documentation, does it also need to be supported or not? if so does it need
> >    to be bundled with the source, or as a separate package?
>
> In general, we like the ability to reproduce a build using cygwin
> packages.  This has not always been the case, but cygwin is now
> self-sustaining enough that you can rebuild almost all cygwin packages
> using just cygwin (cross-compiling would be hands down faster, but it is
> the principle of the thing).  I would consider proposing asciidoc as a
> separate package, again because it might prove useful outside of git.

Ok. I'll set it up as a separate package.

I was thinking about the current distro method, its probably a stupid
question, but i was wondering why don't you support, or have tools to convert
rpm/dpkg type build packages? Cygwin seems to have native rpm & dpkg tools and
most source packages have a 'dist' type target...

Tim.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."
-- Winston Churchill