Re: bash-3.0-14 source package: patches apply, but not cleanly

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Eric Blake wrote:

> > Just a heads-up: when running "./bash-3.0-14.sh prep" from the 3.0-14
> > source package, the log contains a bunch of messages like this:
> >
> > APPLYING OFFICIAL PATCH bash30-001
> > missing header for context diff at line 28 of patch
>
> I couldn't figure out what that meant, or why it was appearing; but
> I saw it too when creating the package.  Since the patches applied
> correctly in spite of the message, I ignored it.

Heh.  According to the patch sources, this happens when patch cannot parse
the old and new names of the file.  Those, however, look fine to me.  I
guess if this bugs me enough I'll trace patch under gdb to see why it
punts.

> > patching file arrayfunc.c
> > missing header for context diff at line 44 of patch
> > [snip]
> > APPLYING OFFICIAL PATCH bash30-002
> > patching file lib/readline/display.c
> > Not setting time of file lib/readline/display.c (time mismatch)
>
> I do know what that one means - the g-b-s uses patch -Z to
> preserve timestamps, where a file will have the timestamp
> listed in the diff rather than when it was patched; but it breaks
> down if the file was patched on the side, so that the starting
> timestamp no longer matches.  Again, it should be harmless.

Right.  It should be enough to just mention their harmlessness in the
README.  FWIW, that was the first place I looked, and when I didn't find
any mention of these errors, I thought I'd report it.

> > etc...
> > None of the hunks actually fail to apply, AFAICS, but the above may
> > still be worth investigating.
>
> If anyone else has ideas on how to silence messages like this, short of
> a g-b-s patch to run patch in quiet mode, I'm all ears.

If I get anywhere with that patch debug session, I'll let you know. :-)

> > ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_	Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
> >      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'	old name: Igor Pechtchanski
>
> I thought so - hopefully more people can pronouce it now.

Yeah, long overdue, that was... :-D
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/