Re: [ITP] mingw-libjpeg, mingw-libpng, mingw-openssl

On Feb  8 09:56, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Peter Quiring wrote:
> >>I've created some packages for Cygwin under the mingw category.  They
> >>are mingw versions of libjpeg, libpng,
> >
> >Sorry, but I have to veto these (but see good news, below)
>
> Just to clarify: "veto" is too strong a word for me to use, since my
> name isn't cgf or Corinna.  Rather, I "recommend strongly against"
> accepting Peter's proposed versions of these packages into the cygwin
> distro.
>
> However, it appears that Corinna agrees -- and she CAN use the word

Hey Charles, you can talk to me personally, there's no need to use
the third person form, really. ;-)

> "veto".  Also, I interpret her message in this thread to mean that she
> is also against incorporating *any* mingw-foo package other than those
> strictly needed for cygwin itself -- including any version *I* might
> propose.

Yes.  I just don't see what this should be good for.  The Cygwin distro
is what the name says, a Cygwin distro.  It contains mingw stuff for
building parts of Cygwin, and it contains mingw stuff which allows to
build native applications which don't need Cygwin.  Uh... and an Insight
interface which for historical and practical reasons is Win32-based, not
X-based.

Other than that, there's not much reason to put mingw packages into the
Cygwin distro, the same as you won't expect Cygwin packages bundled on a
MingW-dedicated distro, or MingW packages in a U/Win distro.  Maybe this
isn't quite valid a comparision, but you wouldn't expect Fedora packages
on the Debian site.

> I appreciate the effort that Peter made, and his generosity in wanting
> to share his hard work with the rest of us.  Thanks, Peter.

That's for sure.  It's just something which doesn't belong here, sorry.

Red Hat