Re: [ITP] Gentoo Portage 2.0.54

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:49:16PM -0500, Jason Alonso wrote:
>I've been around since the days of B18, but I've been a quiet one...
>
>I have ported portage to Cygwin.  There are still a lot of rough edges
>(and a lot of work to do on the ebuild front), but essential
>emerge/unmerge/ebuild/quickpkg functionality is operational.  The
>system succeeds in building "patch", patching itself, and installing.
>To make that clear: portage builds patch, patches portage, and
>installs portage.
>
>Downloads, docs (*cough* [no really, I coughed]... a couple READMEs),
>overlays, and a setup.hint are available here:
>
>http://web.mit.edu/~jalonso/www/cygwin-portage/

This isn't really an ITP since it doesn't follow the guidelines.

How about starting by telling us what portage is and why it would be
useful for Cygwin?

I actually use gentoo here and know what portage is but I think it would
make sense for you to explain why this would be useful.  Personally, I'm
not really sure that this is a direction that we want to go but maybe I'm
missing something.

cgf