Re: HEADS-UP: Modular X11 (ALL maintainers, please read)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, James R. Phillips wrote:

> --- Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
> > X is part of the base Debian install.  It is not part of the base
> > Cygwin install.
>
> Um, that is not true.  It is still perfectly possible to setup a debian
> install without any X libraries.  But of course you couldn't install
> ghostscript.

Right.  I guess I should have said "X is part of the common Debian
install" (and it isn't part of the common Cygwin install).  However, once
we switch to the modular codebase, nothing really prevents us from adding
parts of X to the common Cygwin install.  I'm not convinced that it's such
a good idea, but it's a possibility.

> > Unless the set of X libraries is *really* small, it would make sense
> > to have a non-X version of ghostscript.
>
> OK, we'll have to wait and see on that.  Otherwise, I guess we have
> consensus in principle on a method to carry both versions forward.

You're the maintainer -- ultimately, it's your call.  :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"